Saturday, March 14, 2009

Experiment

Hello,

So I'm not sure what the proper way is to start out on these things, but I guess that I should start off saying: Hi, I'm Erin.

I'm a chemistry graduate student at Northwestern University, so I suppose you could say this is an "away from the bench" type of blog. But, who knows, I might throw a bit of chem your way every now and then :). Of the three things I love, two of them are chemistry and cooking. It's amazing how similar these two things are. Both allow you to use your senses, require careful time and care, and, best of all, there is more than one way to make the same dish (molecule) from scratch. And the third thing I love is a chemist who eats my cooking, so you can see how nicely everything ties in together.

I'm currently working in the field of synthetic chemistry (i.e. making large complex molecules, with therapeutic applications only found in nature from small non-complex molecules that are commercially available). This is a lot easier said than done. Since I don't have enough experience yet to do a total synthesis, my first project is to optimize a reaction that will lead me to a very specific conformational arrangement of the recovered molecule in a way that has never been done before. This too is difficult, but the cool thing is I get to make sweet catalysts such as this one:



That guy is a bright purple crystal because it has an iodine counterpart to it.

Chemistry aside, I now live in Chicago and have been thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. There is just so much to do in this city! I wish I had time to try out every restaurant there is (albeit I have seen quite a few good ones already). Grad school gets pretty tough sometimes. I've had my share of rough patches from just being over worked and over-stressed (plus my adviser is a bit of a slave driver...), but apart from all that I love what I'm doing and I have really carved out a good life for myself here. I've met a lot of great friends and Dave's as amazing as ever, of course. I'm living in my first apartment, too. It's just over a little Mexican restaurant and the train goes by my window (the noise of which I have now become immune to, thank God).

Looking forward to the end of finals...Speaking of finals I have to say goodbye to all of you fine people and study, study, study. Thanks for reading! I hope you check back often. I'll try to keep it interesting!

P.S.

I tried out Jaci's gingersnap cookies last night and accidentally added an extra 1/4 cup oil. If this happens to you bake the cookies an extra five minutes and no one will be the wiser :) So go make them because they are amazing! Plus, super cheap because you don't need to use butter or eggs, saving you $ for that omelet later on in the week...which we all need in these hard times.

1 comment:

  1. excellent! did you use soy milk or regular milk? I've cheated and only ever made them with regular milk.

    ReplyDelete